Tuesday, October 6, 2009

BC Cup CX

Just got back from a back-to-back BC Cup Cyclo-Cross weekend down in Vancouver. Saturday was located in New Brighton Park. Rolled off the start and went to the front, lead the first lap and was soon with a group of guys, consisting of Tyler Trace, Kevin Noiles, Rob Britton, Craig Ritchey, Drew Mackenzie and Kevin Kalhoun. We all rode together for the most of the race. I was able to ride the sandpit section at the 30 min mark and everyone else ran so I attacked when I got out of the pit and got a like a 10 sec gap or so and rolled with that for a bit, went through another sand pit which has a barrier at the end of it, that was about 18 inches high, the lap before I tried to ride it behind Noiles and hit my chain ring and ben it, so this lap I was convinced I could ride it. So I tired it and when I pulled the front tire up my front end sank into the sand and when straight into the concrete. I recovered quickly and started riding only to figure out that I got a flat. I rode as far as I could until I was on the rim, then ran all the way to the pits and put my new wheel on, which was a road tire, so that meant a lot of front tire drifting. I rolled in half a lap behind and tired as heck after doing a TT effort by myself for 25 minutes, followed with the 5 min run. T Trace took the win in a sprint, Craig put his hands up too early and he pinched him at the line. Tough break.

Sunday was located in Vanier Park, right down in the "Heart of Vancouver". Great located followed with great weather. Had a good warm up, Legs didn't even feel like I raced yesterday. Which is always a good sign. Went off hard again and took the "holeshot". T Trace followed close behind and we slowly just opened the gap on the field. Craig Ritchey was out in no mans land behind doing his own TT effort, as T Trace and myself were working together well upfront. Duking it out. We rode together until the 55 min mark I believe. I was really starting to hurt at this point, he was taking way harder pulls. So I knew the last few minutes were really going to hurt. So next lap he attacked me into the headwind and blew it to pieces. He quickly opened a good size gap and was able to roll in and take his 3rd straight BC Cup "W". I had a safe enough size gap behind to cruise in, I could tell once he attacked me my speed just fell in half. It was a great race out there, everything went well and I now have good confidence heading into next weekend for National Championships.

Podium sparkling apple juice!



Regained my speed quick, tried to make it not look like I crashed good and kept rolling, only then to get find out I got a flat.



Definitely an akward crash, tried to hop a barrier out of the sand, not smart!

No comments: