Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cyclo-Cross Nationals.

Well it was a fun trip, not the result I wanted at all, was hoping . Was hoping to have at least one result this season that I would be able to put on paper. Now all I can put is MONO I guess. I was able to rock out the 'stache this weekend in spirit of Movember.

First awesome thing was 4 of us met at the airport and I asked for 1 van taxi, and the guy was like "no, you will never fit that stuff in" I said excuse me, I am cyclist, you obviously don't know that we are 100% the cheapest and best packers of all athletes out there. Sure enough, 4 bike suitcases, 4 suitcases, 4 carry-ons and 5 people fit in the dam mini-van.

Pre-rode the course in some slick conditions, forecast said chance of snow, and oh man was I praying for that. As the course was just plain out perfect Friday. Put all the mud tires on and I was ready to roll, little did I know it dried up over night, blue skies were going to come out for our race and the mud tires were going to be a horrible selection and and make too many sections SLOW.

My race plan was attack hard and see what happend. Got the holeshot, then said see yah later to the top 4 boys. Rolled in for 5th. Huge shout out to Evan McNeely he was rockin' sh*t out there, definitely deserved the W.

For the evening we opted not to go out and get smashed, as I was hoping to have a better day 2. Just went out and met some of the guys at Moxies and had a beer. Ordered in Pizza and hung out.

Day 2 was a lot better, and of course I feel better the day that doesn't matter. But was able to roll with the front group for almost half the race, was riding in No Mans land for a couple laps in 5th spot, then got my bar tangled in the marking tape, cost me a spot, probably would have lost that spot before the end anyway, faded super hard on the last lap to the point where I almost had to get off my bike on on of the hills, good thing everything was established and I didn't lose another spot. Sucked just being off the podium today. But big ups to the espoirs today, 4 were in the top-6.

It was then back to the hotel, bike packing and changing time in the little storage room. Called for a taxi, taxi arrived and they sent a car instead of a van. Then they effed up again and we waited an hour, then our driver was beyond retard, I had to dump the rear seats, he didn't know how to drive either. Took us 15 min to get out of the parking lot because his ticket wouldn't open the gate, and we were getting charged for sitting still and him getting mad. So I got pissed right now, told him to follow another vehicle out so we could squeek under the gate, but he waited too long and the gate closed on the hood but then sprung back open. We then got onto the highway and the bastard said "too much traffic, we take different way" and of course changed lanes without checking and almost got us tee boned. I'm sure he was lost driving in the middle of no where, because he kept getting mad at the Garmin, finally we got to the airport and I had a 40 min until my flight left, and did I mention were at the Toronto Airport? At this point my stress level was pass max. I had just raced a bike, had no shower, not eaten in like 6 hours, But I rushed out into line, got a nice fellow, got my hockey bag through for free because it had "hockey equipment" in it, not a bicycle...Thought about Jeremy Powers Airport Ninja tricks. Was able to get a aisle emergency exit row seat. Made sure I had enough snacks to keep me going, because it was now time for a 4-hr CSI-Miami marathon y'all. And that is my exciting weekend.

Here's the crash of the weekend, awarded to Kyle Douglas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4EU0hFXTK8





No comments: