Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Winter Training

Finally winter is here, I can't tell you how excited that makes me! I've had enough of this -20 and no snow, makes anything outside impossible. But on the weekend it decided to snow 20 cm overnight and then get to +7 the next day so the snow can melt. On my way to work Sunday morning I got stuck in our driveway which is flat by the way. It took a few back and forths to rock out and then I had to try and back 100 ft out to the road, and got stuck in the middle. I did make it in time for work though! It was fun rippin up to the ski hill with 25 cm of fresh pow. I felt like a snow plow in my car the whole way.

This is what our road looked like, you can see the bottom of car was just dragging through the snow, now coming up is our 1 km 12% hill. Makes for a fun time in the winter, but in the case more snow the better because it just worked like a brake.

Monday was a great day for a snowshoe with my pal Aart. We headed up an old forest service road that hadn't been plowed, except for the few 4X4's that had driven through. So I had my car pinned as we started our ascent up this road. Other than the fact that the bottom of my car again was pounding through the snow, everything went smooth me make it pretty dam far, but when the came to about 13% we started to get slower and slower until we stopped and did a e-brake reverse U turn and found a spot on the side of the road.


Off snowshoeing we went, walked into a quiet little lake and was contemplating walking across, but the +7 helped to opt not to.

On we carried up and over the mtns, luckily having our garmins, because we wouldn't have ended up right at my car at the end. Oh and just before we arrived back at my car we ran into some cougar tracks, and no not the cougar your thinking of, the real kind. So this encouraged us to speed snowshoe back just a tad bit.



And here's a little clip of the unplowed forest service rd:

No comments: