Monday, July 9, 2012

Axel Merckx GrandFondo

Unreal weekend in Penticton at the Axel Merckx GrandFondo. I was fortunate enough to be apart of the ambassador program and attend all the weekends events. It all started with a "tour" watching breakfast from 6-8am on Saturday followed by the kids Piccolo Fondo in the afternoon. I have honestly never seen so many kids out riding bikes, well not just riding but tearing up the streets of Penticton! One kid upgraded  from a shorter race on his run bike to the big kid pedal bike race and kept right out front! Unbelievable. I will also put down 10 bucks saying he will be a fast little biker in the coming years.. It was also great to see so many people out supporting the kids. Some of the Bontrager-Livestrong road bike bike racers were helping as well as Alison Sydor.  It was then time to de-chamois and head out to Popular Grove Winery for a little event. Beautiful views from there. Then Pre-Fondo dinner extravaganza where everyone loaded up on pasta and were able to watch Ron Hayman be inducted into the Cycling BC hall of fame! Then athlete panel discussion with Kevin Cutjar, Jeff Symonds, Ian Boswell and Alison Sydor. 

Sunday was the big 160 km push. Something that was going to kick start from long riders again as I haven't ridden over 75 km in two and half months..Started the ride fast as people were trying to "establish the front group" in a GrandFondo ride, not a race! Then someone ran across the road and obviously miscalculated  our 50 k/ph speed and one of the Livestrong riders smoked him and did some front flips and luckily landed in the ditch. After that there was a nice pace back through town and we then stopped at all the rest stops to top up water and fill our bellies with delicious honey stinger treats. At about 110 km the Livestrong boys rolled and paceline and my mountain biker legs said hell no, so I just rode back into town with a slower and slower pace until I felt like I was just baked in a oven by the finish. 35C at the end, 7 bottles, 4 waffles, 3 chews, banana and a sandwich later I was ready for a lake dip. Found some conditioner and went lake showering and hung out at the awesome post-fondo venue area. With smiles everywhere and some people walking around with the bonk look it was a great afternoon. 

I have to say that was probably the funnest event I've been too in a long time, so if you have attended the Fondo I would highly recommend it! Everything about it is top notch.

Video Recap and a few photos below from the mid-Fondo riding to kids racing and start line pictures:

GrandFondo Race Recap (my backside makes an appearance at 2:34)







Had some one handed golfing/beer golfing with my brother the other night.




No comments: