Saturday, July 28, 2012

TransRockies Stage 1

After arriving a day early in Fernie to explore the Resort and ride some trails it was time for some bike racing. With this being my first time there was some things I've learned for the future. A) When stage 1 is a TT don't to start after 100 people, start near the front. B) Don't sprint off the time like its a World Cup XC race. C) Go easier and come to the race faster so you don't get as tired. Pretty simple few rules.

Anyway I managed an earlier start thanks to my high end contacts in the race..Started off riding fast, slowed down, thought I was climbing really fast but turns out I wasn't, went downhills fast which it turned out I did according to Strava, thought "wow this is a lot of up hill", pedaled quite a few times in the two hours one minute race, ate lots of Honey Stinger product and smiled lots because of the beautiful views, winding trails and sick descents. Pedaled my slow legs in for 7th on the stage. Let's hope with two more days I ride into some great legs, because if they get worse then I may be in trouble when we approach days of almost 6,000 ft ascent. 

Props to my house mates and fellow U23 riders Antoine Caron, Evan Mcneely and Felix Wilberg for some good cycling bike riding out there.

The afternoon was spent drinking, eating, stretching, rolling, eating, drinking, feet up, eating, ice bath, and of course interwebing. Watched Antoine head onto the stage podium with his full spandex get up, which was probably a first ever chamois on a stage race podium.

Tonight were eating some more, resting and hoping that tomorrow doesn't feel like we had just squatted a bus or had our legs beaten with baseball bats. 

 Fernie Mountain Resort exploration ride.
 The Engineer talking about stuff and fixing nothing..
T dang what a day, a day for neature that is!
Hoping we were not going to run into any mountain cougars or biting goats like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3JodBR-vs

No comments: