Monday, June 14, 2010

Cardiac Classic BC Cup...or AKA 5,000 ft of uphill in 2 hrs.

So, that was a dam hard race. I can see why Marty Lazarski said before the race he has only done it once in the last four years and didn't really want to do it this year because its too hard. The race was awesome before and after, but during it felt like you a parachute tied on the whole time. I had my garmin on and was looking at my speed up the cardiac hill and it was like 3-4 kp/h. Makes you just feel like your on fire. And you can't stand up because of the loose gravel, so as Tom Skinner would say "put it in a harder gear and pedal faster, it really does make you go faster" That is a true quote and very inspiring quote, good thing he said it after the race.

So the race went like this: I got the holeshot, then pulled off and let Marty pull through, then Tskin hit the climb like a mountain goat and was going way too fast for my liking, so I dropped my chain into the beloved granny ring, then Marty started to ride faster, well I think I actually started to ride slower, anyway he was tearin' the climb a new one, then got chain suck because he said post race "the thing wrong with this bike is, I built it, I don't know how to adjust the set screw in the derailleur, so it must be something like that, can't run middle and big, its too much tension, and the chain is too short" So that sums that up. I was now sitting third on the 20 min grinder of a climb, then Marty went by me again and then by Tskin and made me suffer. I pinned the top section to catch these two for the downhill, successful. Then we recovered on the downhill and Marty and I got to chatting and he was was trying to tell me that I should "man-up and get a flat bar" I almost fell off my bike laughing, such a funny guy. But then he and that flat bar and took off. I had nothing to say there. Rode my fastest through the technical singletrack up/downhill until the cardiac climb for lap two and got caught on the climb, fell back and then caught the guy in the downhill again only to put on a gap and keep it on the climb. Then on the downhill I was pushing so hard my nose started to bleed and blood was everywhere, made my bike even red'er.

So I tried to ride to feedzone with my head pointing up buy then I couldn't see the trail so I had to keep on bleeding everywhere. Got some tissue's from a nice lady and stuff my nose. Kept riding and getting the weird but funny looks from all the spectators. Tried my best to supernuke the last climb went one gear harder everywhere and was able to open a gap on 3rd place. Rode that to the finish right behind Marty. Nice day for Rocky Mountain. Two entries equaled 1st and 2nd place. We quickly pounded a couple chocolate milks, and a burger then went for a cool down ride. Came back for another burger. Had some good chamois time before the podium. Got the most raddest medals ever.

Came back to my dad secretly drinking beer in the parking lot. De-chamois'd and started the drive home. Stopped at Whatcom rd in Chiliwack for Schnitzle burgers. Then back to Peachland.

Garmin Files:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36805442

The bike paths were nice here, made for a interesting ride, then hit the singletrack and was back to why I love westcoast riding.


Burnaby Mtns Cardiac climb, I was thinking pff what is this, and then of course when you say you turn the corner and BAM! it hit's 30%. Hello granny ring, PS I love you.


Vancouver is actually a pretty rad city during a nice sunny day.


Stayed at SFU, thought it would be cool with all the college people, but then when we got there, realized schools out. Sweeet...


Pretty solid hotel room for under 100 bones if you ask me.


The Spread.


Watching UFC, and eating some healthy food instead of my choice of burgers at the pub..


Photos below by Marie Devantier:




No comments: