Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cow Trail Classic

This past weekend I raced just outside Merritt BC, only like 40 min from my place. Nice change to sleep in my bed the night before. Woke up in the AM had a nice big coffee with my dad and brother, waited a bit until my Grandad arrived and then we caravaned out. we hit the turn off to the race and had 7 km of a bumpy gravel road, pretty funny watching my dad's Corolla rock it through there!

Next up was so chamois up, waited until that last possible second, as I had a long day of riding in the chamois the day before. Didn't do the usual warm up, as I was tired from Saturdays ride. So I just rode around for 20 min, just tried to keep my cool. Contemplated running the Maxxis Maxxlite 310's, but since I hadn't ridden the course, I just opted to stay with the Aspens. Rolled the single ring again, more impressed with it each race I run it in.


I Went off pretty hard, yet thinking "I hope we don't actually race on cow trails today" then cooled it through the single track, which was like half a km. Then it was fire roads, and more fire roads. Probably the worst course I've raced to date, as it was like 80% on the roads, and then some of the technical was so bumpy and rooty I coudl hardly ride over it. There were some sections that were unreal though, descending down a mountain in a big open field, with tall grass and a little trail just weaving through the meadow. That kept me sane. I stopped halfway through and took a pee, I was able too because it was so open I could see up to at least 5 min behind me in some sections....It's not fun when the bladder's full. Rolled in to take the first W of the season. After the race I went back to my thought before the race of "I hope we don't race on cow trails" and now thought "Dam! I wished we actually raced on cow trails" Stoked on that, I even got a big Belgian beer and a trophy made of a cassette and rotor welded together. Something cool for a trophy finally.

With our entry we had free tickets for burgers after the race and if you know me, I can never turn down a burger. That pretty much sums up the day.

Some sweet tire pumping action, with my Lezyne pump getting them Maxxis tires all set and ready to roll.


Getting the Garmin ready to roll.


Start.


Mini-mud bog.


Final corner.


Post-race fun.


Mmm Beer.


Photo's by my Brother, Tomas Guthrie, and my Grandad, George Fenton.

No comments: