Friday, June 25, 2010

Test of Metal recap

Every year since I have started racing I always get asked about the Test. And over over I always "nope, never done that one" This year was finally the time to get out to this massively huge event that sell out 800 spots in less then 30 min. Luckily I am no a Pro/Elite and can register whenever. Too bad I raced like a cadet sport and not like a Pro/Elite last weekend. Had a sweet lead up and post race time, it was just the 2:50 min of hurtfullness I endured. So for a quick recap:

Thursday: Borrowed the father Toyota Corolla, put it in 5th gear and cruised to North Van where I was staying with my Rocky Mountain teammate Marty Lazarski and his girlfriend Tara, who is an oh so awesome physio. Had some sweet homemade burgers, Matt Green joined us for dinner and to do some work on Marty race rig.

Friday: Slept in, had coffee, Marty made the best oatmeal ever, which I didn't think was even possible. Then we rode our MTB's on the road, how junior I know, out to Horseshoe Bay on Marine Dr. Got in some vitamin D absorbtion. Had left over burgs for lunch, which were topped off with an egg. Drove to the Rocky Factory. Got a tour by Peter Vallance. Watched some headtube get ripped off a Flatline WC. Got some schwag. Saw something rad that is a secret. Drove into Van and picked up a Ipad case for Tara. Had dinner. Got my favourite chamois picked out. Bedtime.

Saturday: Early wake up. Coffe and breakfast. Surprise visit by Ricky Federeau, who is awesomely cool by the way. We talked about the people who live in Kits, do yoga, wear lululemon, say that they care about the environment and have GLUTEN allergies. It was a hilarious breakfast. Drove to Squampton. Put on my chamois and started to ride the bicycle. Got in a solid 15-20 min warm up...Suffered like no other on the NEUTRAL start of all things. Totally maxed out by the time the race actually got started. Started to let people pass me left and right. Held on the back of a group and prayed for dear life. Got super shelled on 9 mile. Felt like a 7 year old girl that was learning how to ride a bike. Then felt like a 63 year old on the decsent. Started to cramp going the through the feed zone. Rode in for 14th and some 20 odd minutes behind Mr Kabush. My only excuse is I rode the course blind and the Mono thing had let me race super fast up until now this year. Had two smokies, potato salad, mango gelato and a protein bar post race, to not only replenish the calories but to self medicate after my Awesome race!(being sarcastic by the way..) Drove out to watch the windsurfers and had a brew. Dinner at the Brew Pub. Drove back to North Van. 2 min army shower, drove into Van to meet some friends for desert. Back to North Van to sleep.

Sunday: Ate some delicious pancakes. Drove the Corolla back from North Van to the Okanagan in 3:15 min. One stop for pee and gas and a steady 120 kp/h goes along way. Went out for an easy mtb ride with my dad. Then laid on the couch and tried to make myself feel better after and shitass race weekend.

The Test of Metal event was unreal, felt like a race in Europe. The course though I didn't like so much. I could have stayed home and rode fireroads for 2.5 hrs for free.



No comments: