Monday, May 23, 2011

Hello again Quebec

So to start off my trip my mother made me a very nice vegetarian meal the night before I left.

Since I was going to be heading out east I needed a lot of stuff, and by stuff really just crap I think I think I am going to need but not really. But luckily I have a sweet weight scale and my hockey bag. I was able to get through the airport with 0 $ in charges and left them lovely check-in girls with some made up goalie stories..

I put a lot of pressure on myself for the first Canada Cup race as it was my first big race from the 2010 year of Mononucleosis. Plus is was my Grandad's birthday and he found out a few weeks ago he has lung cancer, and my buddy Nick Geddes and amazing young DH'er who has been recently diagnosed with Leukemia. So I put some special stickers and peices of paper on my bike that were going to make me think of that and how life is too short and take everything out of it while you can!


As most people know cyclists are coffee drinkers. And not the usual lets go hit Timmys and get a triple triple. If you were to come and stay at our place and listen to bean types, specific grinds, bodums, stove tops and coffee makers. We found a 1 cup bodum but thats crazy. So Mr Haviland invested in a 12 cupper. Which I call the Man Cupper.

Oh and when I was in the Calgary airport I heard a guy order an 8 shot espresso with 1 shot mocha, and his gf order a non-fat soy latte with non-real sugar..and a shot of caramel. What happend to ordering a coffee?

Anyway I also wanted to sent a huge shout-out to my unbelievably awesome team and Maxxis tires..they are the best hands dowm. Nuff said.

Race Recap:

-Listen to Ricky Federeau starting yelling "7 layer cheese cake, 7 layer cheese cake" with 30 sec to go before the start.

-Burst out laughing

-Start in the high 30s

-Start, lose positions, gain positions, loose positions, stay put, have an "awesome bike handler" fall infront of me before the singletrack.

-Somehow a french guy managed to get sideways and t-bone me on a straight stretch and yell "tabarnac" at me.

-It was so hot my hands felt like they were melting

-Laugh at Ricky again when his way of getting us to pass people is by saying "move! you have two BC guys behind you!"

-rode slow behind some technically un-gifted riders on the decent one lap

-tried to drift a cobbled corner through the village in-front of like 100 people and slid out and got some beauty road rash

-picked people off

-almost had a wicked two-up bike throw sprint

-sat on the ground after the race and drank a coke

-wore a skinsuit for the first time ever in a mtb race

-thought about cooling down but decided it would be better to eat my sandwich

Sunday came around and we went creekin'. I was accompanied by the ever so wonderful Andrew Lesperance, Zach Hughes and Jarred Stafford.




We've also been learning the art of easing into the day from Matt Pazuik. Which consists of long mornings with coffee, food and laptopping.

No comments: