Monday, September 13, 2010

Whistler Grand Fondo

Well I have accomplished my first road event of the season. Although I thought for the last month that our "Powered by Chocolate Milk" team was going to be racing it, in the Giro catagory. And there was $6,000 in prize money for the top 3. So I have been doing long road rides with hour to hour and half long climbs for the past 3 weeks. But once I got to Vancouver on Friday I learned that we were "riding" or should I say participating in the event. So here goes the day:

-4:30 am wake up

-Massive amount of coffee and bagels

-Chamois up with our brown and blue kit, non-bib shorts by the way

-Riding to the start at 5:20 am

-Stand in the corral from 5:45 am to 7 am

-Went to the bathroom a billion times

-Met some nice fast folks with aero bars

-Started in about 500th out of 5,000

-Road like retards through 500 ppl to get to the front in about 2 blocks

-Saw that Global TV had a camera man filming our race on a motor bike up front. So our whole team went to the front and attacked across the Lions Gate bridge, like jit bags

-Rode like camera whores for the 20 minutes, getting attention for our Chocolate Milk sponsors

-Got in every little break there was until our teammate rode off the front at 50 km, and was going solo

-Made a bridge attempt with the one and only Jacob Schwingboth. Good thing were both uber fit right now

-Started to face at 80 km because of the 2 gels, 2 waters bottles we only had

-Jake and I decided to slam our Red Bulls and see what happend

-I got dropped on the next climb, although we did just average over 400 watts everytime we were on the front for the last 45 min.

-Dropped back to the group, saw we were missing two teammates.

-We were going for the best team, so I helped push our coach Richard Wooles up the climbs for the next 15 km. Wrecked my legs like never before

-Saw Tim Sherstobitoff drive by in the van with our teammate passed out in the drivers seat with his mouth open

-Jacob finally finished his solo bridge attempt and joined the big chase group

-Then at 5 km to go, Jake and I cracked so hard we could barley ride,people started flying past us

-I have never cracked so hard in my life, I saw rainbows and almost couldn't stay awake on the bike, on a good note, before I cracked I was averaging 299 watts for 115 km..yes!

-Our coach was then pushing us to the line, thank god we made it, I was scared I was going to just ride into a ditch and curl up into a ball and just start hibernating

-Our teammate Owen Harrison soloed in from the 50 km mark to take the W.

-Finished, Had only ate 3 gels, and two bottles for 130 km. So I started eating dad's cookies and I wasn't event getting half the cookie down it was just falling out of the my mouth

-Had burger #1 of the day at 10:30 am, yes all the above had just happend by 10:30 am

-Changed into normal clothes

-Went to our hotel room and everyone napped

-Went out for an early dinner, buger #2 was had there with a wobly pop. Our waitress was gorgeous too

-Went back to our hotel again and laid there. Decided to go to the clubs

-Left the clubs 30 mins later, got a ton of junk food and went and watched TV in our hotel room with Boris Martin. By this point I was already up for 19 hrs.

That is what our 2010 Whistler Grand Fondo looked like. Glad now I didn't do the actual race.




No comments: