Sunday, July 3, 2011

Monte Sainte-Anne

I've been fortunate enough to be apart of the National Team for the Monte-Sainte-Anne and Windham World Cups. This past week I've been in MSA training and racing. Since MSA is my favourite course I put some pressure on myself since it was Canadian style conditions with mud, rocks, roots and some sweet singletrack. There's a few sections on course that have become famous on the world cup circuit..with some top high paid pros not even able to ride some lines..
This section is called Beatrice, she seems to be unkind to the riders who have a tough time with technical. Here's a link to a video of highlights from a lap of the MSA world cup course:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOuhYBQXzbo

Our U23 mens race went well for Canada, with the goal of having 1 rider in the top 20 and we put 5 in the top 20 I believe. With the highest place to Leandre Bouchard. Evan Mcneely had a great race, if it wasn't for the warm crash into a sign that turned into post race stitches, and a good old bonk on the last couple laps he would have been nicely in the top 10. Jeremy Martin also with a great race to 16th, at one point in the start being 2nd wheel. As for myself there was a bike race going on and I didn't really start to participate until the 2nd lap once I was in 36th spot, and thanks for a burped tire which led to a decent crash and two stops for some air and finally a pit stop for a new wheel and some hammering of my brake caliper I was on my way and the day got better lap by lap until I rolled back into 18th. Satisfied but not excited as I know that trainings been going well I wanted to be up near the top 10. We all have another shot next week though in Windham, NY. Our U23 goal is now 3 riders in the top 15.

It was a great day to be a Canuck, with Catherine Pendral absolutely dominating the women's field and winning by nearly 2 min, MHP with a 5th and a career best for Emily Batty with a 7th! Geoff Kabush coming back for a burped tire to 7th, U23 women with 3 in the top 10, and today with the junior women sweeping the podium and a 3rd place for junior men with only the World Cup leader and Pan American champion besting him.

Thanks to some great crowds, unreal cheering and spirit our races we instantly better. Nothing like racing in your home country. And huge thanks to the Canadian Cycling Association for helping out us young-ins.

Here's a few photos to check out the venue..Crash compilation, and race recap videos coming soon..




No comments: