Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fort Collins USGP Rounds 3&4

Well I have now completed my first US Grand Prix weekend of Cyclo-Cross. Couldn't of done it without Maxxis-Rocky Mountain mechanics Gary and James. Not used to having a trailer, let alone one that's heated. As well as 2 pit people. Did my first bike change during the Saturday race as the nice mud started to turn into nutella halfway through..

I flew into Boulder Thursday and stayed the mechanics house. Geoff arrived Friday morning and we got out for a spin at the local bike park. Did some sweet laps on their CX course and contemplated laps of the 4X course, but we thought all the "cool" young dirt jumpers would make fun of us. So we rode the mini non see-able 4X course and tried a mini wall ride on the CX bikes..

Saturday was a slow morning with coffee shop interwebbing followed by the drive to Fort Collins from Boulder. We heard it snowed overnight in Denver and was sleeting in Boulder. I was hoping for snow on the ground but I settled for rain and mud. We arrived to a beautiful course layout on the side of a hill(racer's garmins showed about 950 ft of climbing each race). The trailer was warm. I sort of did a junior move this weekend and brought clothes for winter conditions, just not clothes for wet winter conditions. Made pre-riding, changing, riding, racing, changing kinds tough. Lots of layers proved best against the wet and mud. I wouldn't call Sunday my best race so far this CX season. Set my sights high after a 9th at Starcrossed..since then things have seemed to not be as good. I would have called Saturday my perfect race consitions, but with not snap in the legs and no massive horse power that meant slow riding in the mud. I had to settle for 20th and 4th U23. I really wanted to be on the U23 podiums..but I failed there..I guess riding in your 38t small ring all race doesn't say 'fast'.

Saturday night was a tough clean up with our bath tub looking like someone dumped a wheels barrow of dirt it. I had the blow dryer just sitting in my shoes for long periods of time to dry off. Dinner out seemed to fill my belly well and good sleep led to me waking up feeling pretty dam decent. Another coffee shop morning, with a whole foods visit and beer run for post race. Had to get Geoff to buy beer for me, sucks being legal for almost 2 year in Canada and then going to the states seems like I'm still in high school. Showed up at the course with it looking like a crew came and paved it. 100% opposite conditions for both days. I would have thought I would sh*t the bed even worse Sunday but I had better legs and actually used my big rings which meant I was going faster. I started to feel better near the end, almost wished for the first time in my life the race would have 1 more lap. Finished a way better day for 16th, I missed 3rd U23 by a matter of feet at the finish, and 2nd U23 was only 20 sec away. Balls. Came close to the goals but still empty handed. Good weekend of knowledge put into my head as well as some more motivation. Although I now get to go home and tell me friends that Sunday I made a whopping 29 dollars...they couldn't even make it an even $30 for my dignity. After a pretty quick clean up and watching Barry Wicks do a reverse donut to burnout and spary mud all over the Kona trailer in a Gran Marquis we were off to Boulder. Settled for pink burgers for Thanksgiving dinner. Had the nice 4:45 AM wake up, bonus was I finished my 10 HR travel by 3 PM.

Had some days back at work, followed by a wicked long travel bike ride in the rain. Trails were minty! This week focus is some good food and some sweet downhill trails.

-Gossip Girl

No comments: