Thursday, October 6, 2011

Racing with the Big Boys

Just hanging out in the Vancouver waiting to head on down to Denver Colorado for some USGP action with Mr Geoff Kabush and Gary Wolff.http://www.usgpcyclocross.com I thought I would just jump into some big CX races this fall and see what happens. I've already enjoyed it and seeing now what I can do with it.

Last time I updated I was just getting ready for a big weekend of local CX/MTB racing. Saturday was the local CX race, which is a apart of Catharine Pendral's interior 'cross series. Event was great, and Jeff Plant the course designer put in a ton of man hours and bobcat hours making sure the course was 100% dialed as can be. I didn't hear one complaint all day, just saw smiles. Especially when their names were called the most waited prizes of the day, The pie's. After that I decided that eating a pizza at 2:30 in the afternoon was a sufficient enough of food for the rest of the day, even though there was a 4 hour enduro MTB the next morning. Race went well, I was able to take the W infront of Kamloopian Mr Keith Wilson. I was also able to turn a little hill top roller into a sweet spot for a boosting CX bike tweaks..



Sunday came quick and so did the bonk...Funny enough on Saturday I was talking with Mrs. Pendrals husband Keith Wilson and he was giving me tips on how to create and conquer the perfect bonk, I was thrilled to get these tips I had never experienced the full blown bonk. I was up early and out the door early to get to the event to help if needed and get our Bike Barn team area all set up. I was hoping to get in a solid 4 hrs hard ride today, and hopefully not dig myself a big whole of fatigue. But immediately there were guys sticking my wheel and staying there, I don't like riding in groups so I was made a couple little efforts to get out alone, I was really trying to just get away from Axel Merckx, as I was talking some smack before hand. Him and his wife came away with the mixed team win. I carried on along for the first 4 laps and all I sudden I thought hey its 2:15 into 4 hrs and I eaten and drank like its a 1:30 XC race..and ridden a pace for like a 2.5 hr race..Then the body started shutting down and I tried to eat cookies, drink red bull for wings and takes gels for a quick boost until all the other food kicked in. I lost the lead while eating and drinking in the feed zone. And started lap 5 and then Boom! the bonk came knocking, I slowed down and tried to not cramp up. Then all of a sudden I found myself walking the steep hills, then walking the flats and then almost having to walk the downhills. I was full on into the bonk zone and pain cave at this time of 2:45. I was doing steady 30 min laps and then my 5th, which turned into my final, was 50 min..I just so made it back to the team tent and decided for a sit down. Not being able to eat because my gut was like a washing machine with jet fuel in, I just laid there and tried to soak in and enjoy the bonk as much as possible. After an hour of this I decided it was time for the self-assisted throw up so that I could eat! After successfully accomplishing the emptying of my stomach I had a nice bowl of rice and started to get back to real life. Then I opted for the double cheesburger with mushrooms. This seemed to solve all my problems, as within a half hour I was back to normal, a shame I know. Not the best personal day, but the event, the smiles, the kids, the families it was amazing. I was truly glad to be apart of such a great event. Hopefully its a go for next year!

After a week of some junior style recovery movies(i.e. nothing..)Moving some heavy furniture, trying to sleep at 6,000 in prep for Fort Collins, later nights, early morning drive to the race, 20 min warm up and 1 lap on course I was ready for a great day! I was still convinced in pre-ride that I was ready to kill it. But after lap 1 when I couldn't even follow a simple move I knew I was done for. I just tried to ride and get back on that front group for the first 4-5 laps and after I knew that was never going to happen I just settled and tried to smile for people and pretend I was didn't want to throw my bike. Tyler Trace once again 3 years in a row took the convincing win with Andrew Pinfold not too far off. Kevin Noiles in third Kevin Calhoun in and 4th and myself taking the final podium spot. I was pretty pissed with having to drive 7.5 hrs in total that day for a 1 race of shitting the absolute bed. After driving a friend back to UBC I was on my way home, opting for some better recovery food and some stretching before/during/after the race I'm hoping to come around for this weekend, it's a big trip, big races and lots on the line. Need some show myself this weekend for sure. After the most rain I've ever seen in the Okanagan in 1 week I should be rested, as that meant a couple easy days on the trainer and some good cooking!

Out for now

-eg

No comments: