Saturday, September 19, 2009

Schladming World Cup

So my 5th place today was unexpected. I wasn't feeling too hot all week leading into this race, and this morning and I was doing some starts and I was just loosing it, well thats what it felt like any way. I was just thinking its the last race of the season, just go for it, and leave it all on the course. So off the bat I missed my pedal and had to really give it a good kick to get back up to the leaders before the climb. I was front line with the Junior World Champ and vice World Champ. So I was happy to be sitting up there with those guys. Then we hit the climb and I fell back a bit, but was still able to hang in the top 10 by the time we hit the first descent. I just put my hammer down and slowly picked off guy by guy. I think heading into the final lap I was 6th. I caught up with Ricardo Paulo Reis Marinheiro (Por) and Matthias Stirnemann (Sui). These guys were 1st and 3rd last weekend. So I was happy to be riding with them, once I caught them they attacked on a climb and gapped me. So I just kept it steady and high for the rest of the lap and was able to reel in Marinheiro and then gap him on the main climb which was making me think "is this right?". But I was going 110% there. Rolled into the finish 5th place and 57 sec off the podium. I was very happy with this race because we had 15ish more riders and the reigning world champ was there. So I was just going to go for it and hope to finish as high as possible. Just heading out to watch the mens race! Hopefully Kabush can reel in a podium ride!

No comments: