Wednesday, September 2, 2009

World Championships Cross Country

Tuesday was the Relay World Championships, Canada had entered a really good team and we had a shot at the win. We put it all down on the line and came out 6 sec off winning a World Championship. I was super excited with this, its was hard because we were so close to winning, but the whole team had big smiles on their faces. We quickly had the podium, a press conference and then made our way back to the hotel to get in some good recovery, I had my XC race coming up on Thursday(today). Today was now the Cross Country race. The one I wanted to place a top-10 in. I was started in 13th, our UCI world ranking. I was happy with that start position. After the start I was sitting in the top-10 heading towards the single, which is where the race is decided in the first lap because there is so much traffic. But then I got caught behind a little pile up and was now in the 20's. Which was all right, not ideal for where I wanted to be riding. But then half way through the lap I passed 3 guys on this hairy line and took this big drop and was going way too fast and over shot it and landed up hill and snapped my handle off. I then crashed hard and got up and made the couple minute run to the tech zone, where our wicked Team Canada mechanic had a spare bar waiting and we unscrewed my old bar, took off the grips, along with the brakes and the shifters. We put the new bar on and I was anxious to go so we didn't put my grips back on. Then my number plate was hanging so we had to cut that off. I lost 6 minutes to leader that lap and was now sitting 2nd last in 69th position, so now the chase was in high speed. I was putting everything down on the line, I now had nothing to loose. I was standing up and going as fast as I could every place I could. I was catching guys all over the place, which was giving me even more confidence at the moment. I was feeling 110% today. So now I wanted to race my legs off and see how fast my laps were to the winner. I was making myself think that each guy in front of me was the leader. Which worked well. Came through in 30th in the end, which I was pleased with after everything that had happend. I later checked lap times and my laps were the same as 8th place. So I think if it all went well I could have been in the top 10. Which makes me feel good. Now off to Europe to race the final two World Cups and test out the legs again and hopefully have some good races.

No comments: