Sunday, May 20, 2012


Dear Diary,

May 20, 2012

La Bresse, France.

Over the past weeks my travels have gone something like this; Kelowna-Prague CZE-Nove Mesto na Morave-Prague-Heidelburg GER-La Bresse FRA-Frankfurt-Quebec City. Played some tourist while travelling through some of Europe's prized cities and landscape. The sights may have been so much for some people I would imagine their heads may have exploded. I would highly recommend checking out Prague if your ever within reach, obviously not actually within reach as you would already be there.

Race report from the Nove Mesto na Morave World Cup has already been updated and possibly even a few blog posts back already. Today is May 20, the weekend of the 4th round UCI cross country mountain bike World Cup in La Bresse, France. It was a pretty fantastic weekend for Canada. But lets go back to post Czech World Cup and update until today!

After the Czech World Cup I was pretty mangled having not had a great race and still pushing as hard I could, which wasn't very fast by way in case you didn't see my 48th place finish. I had some higher ambitions than to come into the race and feel tired and slow. You know it's going to be a hard day when your standing up going balls deep and just going backwards the first 45 seconds. I was not happy with the result but got over it quick by my delicious post race meal of steak. Next day was some cheering for our fellow Canadians out there. I would say for everyone it was overall a good weekend for Canada with 3 women in the top 10 for elite women, top 20 for U23 women, 2 men in the top 20 for elite men, and Mcneely top 30 tying for best Canadian U23 Europe result since 2008!

Next up on our journey to France we drove into Prague and spent a couple hours walking the old town and bridges. Those sights will stick with me for as long as I'm around. The main goal of going through Prague was to find a Starbucks for our Team coach, as he has a Starbucks addiction. Also enjoyed a nice lunch with fellow riders Evan Mcneely and Max Plaxton on a boat on the river! Next up was a fabulous afternoon of driving through Czech and into Germany. We arrived late night in Heidelburg at the Holiday Inn. Only it was so much better than a North American Holiday Inn! With dove soap, gummy bears and a mini fridge upon arrival we knew it was a high class. Although it did suck leaving Czech as you could eat like a kind with 3 side dishes and a main course for about $11.50..Now we were back in classic exchanging large amounts of money for small meals Europe. I do have to say that since the local white asparagus was in season it did somewhat make me feel better about paying $25.00 for a salad. Quick sleep, early morning exploration ride. We used the force(a term used from something called “Starwars”, I don't really know what it means but it sounds legit!..) and only got lost six times. But we did find another beautiful town, another old bridge as well as cobbled roads and old churches. Back to the upper class feeling Holiday Inn for some stomach filling with what would have to be the biggest bestest most awesome breakfast spread I have ever seen. Bread, pastries, salmon, fruit, sausages, 4 types of eggs, fresh squeezed do it your self orange juice, granola, oatmeal, potatoes and so much more. I would keep rambling but I don't want to make you all salivate..It was back in the vans for some more “talking about feelings and stuff” food consumption, music listening, iphone, ipod, ipad gaming and making fun of our other team staff singing to music in the other vehicle. Once we crossed into France a grocery stop was in order, but not without a 20 min side road idiotic road design flaw detour to access the market that was 100 m off the highway.. It was then a sick mountain drive up into the snow and minus temperatures to reach the location of the what is now this past weekends World Cup in La Bresse, France. As the week went on temperatures rose and we rode more. It was cool to have another old school type course with a long climb and long descent which was technical enough to open big gaps as well as the climb being long and steep and technical enough to open even larger gaps. As the race approached there was some added pressure with Canada's Andreanne Pichette taking 11th in the U23 women's race. After having a bad race last weekend I was now further back in staging which meant the first 5 minutes of the race was even more crucial. Right from the gun I knew I had the legs for a decent ride. I avoided some crashes and took some risks and came out of the start loop top 30 and ride into 22nd by the 2nd lap. I was having an ON day as normally a course with long steep climbs doesn't usually play to my strengths. But hey maybe now I am turning into someone who can climb especially when I'm on. I was descending well enough to make up all the time lost of the climbs and or jump across to the groups ahead of me. It felt like the descent was long enough that I could actually recover and of course have some fun making some air time and giving the crowds something to cheer for. Faded slightly in the last lap to finish 28th in a sprint and bike toss with American fast boy Howard Grotts. My best Euro U23 World Cup/World Champ result to date. It was also nice to finish and be so empty that I could hardly hang onto my bike. As my whole body was shaking. I was able to perk up by dinner time for our seven pizza eating session. France is just great for always having Pizza ovens and cooking in them is unreal compared the eating out during trips. And then today was another day of cheering on our Canuk teammates on course! The women's race is always exciting as Canada is #1 ranked in the world!! Today was the most nervous I've ever been while not being in actually in a bike race. The womens race came down to the last minute and the men's was almost the same. Crashes, flats, mechanical's etc plagued some riders today. But oh boy did it make for some exciting action! Mrs. Catharine Pendral took 4th in the womens and Max Plaxton had an amazing ride finishing 9th after a 33rd start position! During the races I calmed my nerves by drinking a grande coffee, eating a sub sandwich, a chocolate croissant, another sandwich, a pizza and a delicious chocolate pastry. Had to make up for the lack of calories yesterday, I did fortunately bonk after the race yesterday on the ride home..

Tomorrow is another day of morning bicycle exploration in the mountains followed by a drive to Frankfurt so we can stop to eat some road side meat from vendors. It is then right over to Quebec City where I will be staying with my Rocky Mountain teammate Jeremy Martin before the second round of the Canada Cup series in Baie-St-Paul, Quebec.

Picture update soon when I get some highspeed internet!!

Salut.



No comments: