Monday, May 28, 2012

Never a dull moment with Cycling BC while travelling Quebec

Well after a great week of hanging out in Quebec City area, thanks to Jeremy Martin, I met up with Cycling BC on Friday and settled into the "LoveStory"(pls see previous post if not in the know of LoveStory) With some great weather over the weekend it meant a few nice laps pre-race day to test the legs. Quinn Moberg and Louis Dillion are the other Cycling BC riders, both poised to tear it up in the junior mens field. As always coach Steve Lund has masterminded a great trip.


Detailed Results Elite men Page 28 of 29.

Race morning was filled with lots of coffee consumption, chamois time and nervous feelings. 

Race started at noon and with my UCI points I was able to snag a front row start. Led things off for the first lap, exchanged with Mr Bouchard a couple times and then once teammate Raphael Gagne and Cam Jette put the hammer down I was done, couldn't follow 3rd and 4th. Raced "The Mitch" Bailey for 5th and thought the race was over..then found out right at the lap area we had another lap..Junior thinking then caused me to go backwards. Laying down my last bit of energy on the fourth lap made the fifth lap a sufferfest and just holding on for dear life. I was then passed back by Mitch, Andrew "Nova Scotia" L'esperance then passed me like I was standing still on a climb. Phew I couldn't hear/see anyone behind me so I put my head down and focus..But once your legs say no, and body is going in la la land after myself dropping a feed and not drinking much I was then caught by the duo of Adam Morka and Leandre "flying Bouchard". Now sitting in 9th after a good stint at the front, then a stint in 4thish and BOOM! cracked. Now I had to dig even deeper to hold off Antoine"The mexican looking" Caron for 9th. I did manage to accomplish that and hardly be able to stand upright after the race. Hard one on the back for the hardtail but it was a sweet race. So fast, so hard and warm. Satisfied with it, would have been disappointed if I held back and saved energy and finish where I did or even a couple spots higher. It's a Canada Cup and as you can see through results the six U23's in the top 10 that are more than capable of the podium or even higher. 

Lastnight I had a nice midnight wake by ride Louis Dillion yelling "Fire, Fire" So I ran outside to find out coach in his gonch with a hose putting out a pretty large sized fire that was overtaking the chicken coop. Apparently I am such a good sleeper that I didn't hear them yelling for me for about 30 min, then were in and out of the house calling 911, putting out the fire totally on their won by the way. With Coach Steve making the save of the day by running into the burning chicken coop and grabbing bikes and bike boxes. Could have been pretty bad. I guess thanks to Louis who felt the need to drain his bladder. Pretty disappointed I missed the fire party but it made for a pretty eventful evening. After many questions like ``Are you smokers!?" from the police and some investigating from the 15 firefighters that showed up nothing was determined. Quote of the night, Steve Lund "Never a dull moment while travelling with Cycling BC in Quebec" 

Off to Toronto today for Canada Cup finals in Hardwood Hills next week. Stay tuned..





No comments: